Tertiary education is important because it opens up opportunities for people. Not only does it enable higher paying jobs and careers, but it also broadens the mind. With that being said, not every university is the same and not every course offering is the same. With so many competitors in the tertiary education market right now, what should you look for in a good local university?
Making the Right Choice for Your Further Education
If you want to study undergraduate degree in Singapore, it’s important to make the right choice. Which university should you choose and why? Will the university you choose meet your specific needs? These are all important questions that will impact your experience with whatever course you decide to do.
Here are some things that you should look for in a good university:
- Reputation: The truth is that not all universities are the same, and while you may be tempted to go for the cheapest option, this is not always the best choice. Reputation really does matter when it comes to further education, and if you’re seriously considering studying you’ll want to get the most out of your time there. Look for a university with a good reputation and a recognised global ranking in the area in which you wish to study. This also feeds into how likely it is that a student will gain employment after completing their studies. Many companies will favour graduates from universities with a good reputation.
- Innovation: If innovation is important to you, this needs to be considered as a big part of your choice. Many universities simply do the same thing every year and offer the same curriculum. Ideally, the university you choose should be innovative enough to use the latest technology and offer new courses, and also open-minded enough to periodically review their course offerings.
- Flexibility: How flexible is the university when it comes to combining areas of study? If you want to do a double degree, can the university accommodate you? This is certainly something important to consider.
- Extracurricular activities: As an undergraduate studying for the first time at the tertiary level, your experience of university is going to colour your adult life and your choice of career. In this context, a university that offers numerous outreach programmes, overseas exchanges, and community programmes will provide you with the best that the world of education has to offer.
- Finances and scholarships: It’s also important for many people to go to a university that offers plenty of scholarship opportunities for further education. Likewise, flexible financial arrangements are a necessity for many students who require aid when paying for their education.
A Positive Impact on Your Life and Career
The best universities are supportive, globally recognised, and flexible in their course offerings. It’s an important time in any young student’s life, and choosing the right university will have a big impact on your experience and life after university. Therefore, doing some research and making the right choice is essential.